Thursday, February 12, 2015

What I read last month - January Book Reviews


I meant to read a lot more than I did in January. I had good intentions but the month was unusually busy and I was sick a big part of the month too. 

This month I read -

The Winter Sea by Di Morrissey

Make it Happen by Lara Casy

and 

Before I Go by Colleen Oakley


I'm going to start with my favorite of the group, Before I Go. This is a stand-out book. One that grabbed me and I couldn't put down. For me, a book is a definite WINNER when I'm still thinking about it and it's characters after I've finished it, and Before I Go is precisely that. I wholeheartedly recommend it! 

Buy it or borrow it.

Colleen Oakley
Hardcover - 320 pages
Source - Gifted

"Twenty-seven-year-old Daisy already beat breast cancer three years ago. How can this be happening to her again?

On the eve of what was supposed to be a triumphant “Cancerversary” with her husband Jack to celebrate three years of being cancer-free, Daisy suffers a devastating blow: her doctor tells her that the cancer is back, but this time it’s an aggressive stage four diagnosis. She may have as few as four months left to live. Death is a frightening prospect—but not because she’s afraid for herself. She’s terrified of what will happen to her brilliant but otherwise charmingly helpless husband when she’s no longer there to take care of him. It’s this fear that keeps her up at night, until she stumbles on the solution: she has to find him another wife.

With a singular determination, Daisy scouts local parks and coffee shops and online dating sites looking for Jack’s perfect match. But the further she gets on her quest, the more she questions the sanity of her plan. As the thought of her husband with another woman becomes all too real, Daisy’s forced to decide what’s more important in the short amount of time she has left: her husband’s happiness—or her own?"

Lara Casey
Softcover - 240 pages
Source - Gifted

This book was good, but not anything spectacular. Maybe I had too high of expectations after reading some promotional materials and a few reviews, but I expected it to be better. It's part memoir, part motivational with a lot of common knowledge recommendations in here. I enjoyed and connected more with the first half more than the last. It's a good easy read for anyone turning over a new leaf in life or needing some encouragement. 

"You were created for a purpose, and it's time to make it happen.

Make It Happen is the story of how I surrendered my fear, took the leap, and got a life. In my case, a perfectly imperfect, fulfilling life as a mama, a working woman, and a grateful wife. This is the story of how I chose to make "it"—a greater purpose than mine—happen, and how you can too.

Make It Happen is for
  • women who find themselves worried, anxious, and completely overwhelmed by the constant chase for perfection
  • those seeking the courage to jump into a new venture
  • working women who are struggling to "do it all"
  • weary wives and moms looking for relief from burning the candle at both ends
  • anyone who dreams of a life lived not by accident, but on purpose
Your time has come to take a leap of faith. Join me as we surrender our fears, end the chase for perfection, and say yes to cultivating the meaningful lives God desires for us.

You know all those things you've always wanted to do?
You should go do them."

The Winter Sea
Di Morrissey 
Softcover - 432 pages
Source - Gifted

The story is good, but it drags a bit in places which was difficult for me. I resisted giving up on it and am glad I did because I did enjoy it once I got through the lagging bits. It's a light read, and a good story overall, it just didn't hold my attention and was a bit of a chore to finish.

"Escaping an unhappy marriage and an unsatisfactory job, Cassie Holloway moves to the little Australian coastal town of Whitby Point. There she meets the Aquino family, whose fishing business was founded by their ancestor, Giuseppe, an Italian immigrant, some ninety years before. Life for Cassie on the south west coast is sweet as she sets up a successful restaurant and falls in love with Giuseppe's great grandson Michael. But when the family patriarch dies, a devastating family secret is revealed which threatens to destroy her dreams. Cassie's future happiness now rests with her quest for the truth."



Have you read any of these? What did you think?




Share |
 Subscribe in a reader

0 comments: